Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Who are Gongy & Squish anyway??

Do they both make what's sold in the shop? Or does one create and the other handle the business type stuff? Are they BFFs? Are they married? And where is that name from?? Well, I'm sure you haven't spent that much time wondering about these things....but I'm going to cover them anyway and also answer the question I really do get asked a lot: How do you pronounce "Gongy & Squish"?

Gongy is pronounced Gone-Gee (rhymes with bee) and squish rhymes with wish. When I was trying to think up a name for my Etsy shop, I wanted to find something "different". I mean, this is Etsy we're talking about. I finally decided to use my children's nicknames.

The Gongy part is for my daughter.
When she was younger she had a special cup that she called her 'Yongy"...not sure why. Anyhoo, she loved that thing and it was her special. Well, we love her and she is our special so we started to call HER "Yongy". Over time that name somehow evolved into "Gongy"...again not sure how!

The squish part is for my son.
One day he told me that I was his "Cutie Pie Squishy Bear"...yes, you read that right! Please don't tell him that I told you!! I thought is was the sweetest thing and we started calling each other that and it evolved into just "squish". He still lets me call him that but it has to be in private!

This is pretty much a one woman operation. Here's me :I am the one that creates...but I'm also the packing and shipping dept, advertising dept, customer service dept, etc.

Behind the scenes are the people that really keep this operation afloat with their support...my husband, family and friends.

Here's me and my husband Scott...my biggest supporter!
Me and My sister at Silver Bella in 2009. She keeps me on the cutting edge of what's hip and is always there to support me....and provide countless hours of counseling (really! She does have her Masters in family counseling). :)
My friends and I at our Fall open house. They inspire me in so many ways and I am so lucky to have them near by! We each have our own unique style and I love getting together with them to work on projects!

So, that's Gongy & Squish in a nutshell. Thanks for coming by and have a great Thursday! It's almost weekend! Yay!

6 comments:

  1. ooh, I'm so excited to be featured on your blog.

    I have to give you credit for introducing me to the whole altered art/crafting movement. I love that we can share our crafting, blogs and drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww that's a cute story, thanks so much for sharing. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pic of the three of us doing our Open House!That was so much fun! You girls are so special to me too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these pics! Can't wait for our next holiday Open House. You are such an inspiration to us. I appreciate your sharing your talent with us and now blog land!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had been pronouncing gongy like boingy!! I love your blog & I love your creations
    Oh & BTW, I love you :) (not a stalker...it's just me- angle!!)

    ReplyDelete